As many of you know I like to read and write and smoke a pipe. So what better way to celebrate my hobbies than to create a book marker with a smoking pipe design. So I set out with this brilliant (at least to me) idea. Most of the times my “brilliant” ideas are nothing but great ideas that never get turned into anything. Lately though, I’ve been pretty good at finishing projects.
So I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a few things of material so I could create my own wooden book marker. If you’re like me, an avid reader, then you know how easy it is to lose a book marker or how hard it is to remember the last book you had it in. The secret to keeping a book marker is to invest a lot of time in it so you don’t lose it. That’s what I decided to do.
I hope you like the pics.
Here I started with a blank piece of 1/8″ wood from Hobby Lobby. Drew out how I wanted it to be and took a utility knife and cut through it. This took a little time to get the curves right and to make sure I didn’t cut a finger off.
After they were all cut, I sanded them to get the edges smooth then I began to stain them. I stained two of them cherry and the other two oak. I gave each side about four coats and let them dry. I also drilled a small hole about the size of 1/4″ so I could tie some leather for decoration. I made the mistake not putting tape on the wood to keep it from breaking out when the drill went through so you can see one book marker has a slip of wood broken from it. Not a bad thing but it definitely takes away from it. I think it gives it a little character. 🙂
The next thing I did was draw a pipe out with a pencil on the book marker. After I was pleased with the way it looked, I took a wood burning kit and burned the wood. I was going to make the whole pipe dark but decided against it so the pipe has a wood look and the bit is black.
Next, I wrote out The Pipe Writer in Word program on the computer in a nice font and printed it out. This next part was tricky. I then laid the paper on the book marker and not necessarily tracing it out, I colored on the paper with a pen leaving an indention in the wood. I’m sure there’s better ways to doing this but it worked so I’m pleased.
Then I took the point of the burning kit and wrote the letters out the thickness of the outline of the pipe. That seemed easy but because this font has script, I needed to go back with a broader tip and add the thick part of the lettering. It was actually easier than I thought. And the finished product looks like this.